Inspired by this post at Betty Beguiles, I now share with you 10 interesting facts about the Chief and me. (Yes, I know, "interesting" is a relative term; however, I'm absolutely biased about anything having to do with my guy.)
1. I met him when I was 17 and a Senior in high school and he, 20 and an early college grad. While he was discerning a vocation to the priesthood, I was discerning what color dress I should wear to my prom. This caused a bit of name-calling among members of our community: he was a "cradle robber" and I, a "vocation wrecker." Fortunately, he had a thick skin and I was largely clueless.
2. I told him I wouldn't marry until I had known him for at least 5 years. He laughed.
2. A few months later, he proposed in front of the Blessed Sacrament after the Easter Vigil Mass at Franciscan University. And I laughed... and said yes.
3. We married when I was 19 and our first child, a son, was born when I was 21. The baby had his father's nose and love of debate (although the latter would come a little later on in his young life).
4. My guy would write his doctoral level papers until the wee hours and I would listen to his shufflings and typings from our room as I cuddled our baby. Sometimes, the shufflings stopped and I would hear him play guitar and sing to God. And my heart would sing and dance along.
5. He has been the most important ingredient to my peaceful and healthy labors. He is my impenetrable wall of confidence and security in those vulnerable hours, deflecting invasive tests and acquiring extra linens adroitly.
6. Even in my messiest hours, he has never caused me to feel that I am unattractive in his eyes.
7. He likes to instantly fall asleep in random places. It used to annoy me but now I think it's adorable... Perhaps because I know that his exhaustion is an indication of the way he pours himself out for his bride and children.
8. He hates to have his picture taken and I love to take it. I like celery and he thinks it should be eliminated from the face of the earth. Oh, the division! (Thankfully, we both like licorice which really makes up for so much.)
9. We are both strong-willed with strong opinions... unless the subject matter is "At which restaurant would you like to eat, dear?". Then we don't care at all. You decide. No, please, just pick a place. I really don't care, just choose something. No. I refuse. You do it. I'm not moving this car unless you tell me which direction we should turn it in....
10. We are coming up on our 15th wedding anniversary and I wouldn't change a thing.