Microwaving a Hardboiled Egg (duh)
My training in the domestic arts was limited. I'm learning "on the job" for the most part and I've made countless ridiculous mistakes.
Today, I microwaved a partially hard-boiled egg. Partially hard-boiled because I didn't boil them long enough in spite of having boiled a gazillion eggs in my mothering years. Microwaved because I needed those eggs to support my limited diet... and I needed them quickly.
My first thought before I put the egg in the microwave was: This will probably explode. So I cracked it to allow any steam to escape. Apparently, this was not sufficient. The rest of the eggs (all 23 of them) are now boiling (again) on the stove and I just finished cleaning up a big mess.
Examples of domestic mistakes in my early years:
~Filling the dishwasher soap dispenser with liquid dish soap (not intended for dishwasher use) when I ran out of dishwasher detergent. Result: Kitchen overflowing with bubbles. Like a scene out of a movie. Not recommended.
~Cleaning my pretty wood floor with PLEDGE. Really bad idea. Thank God all 14 people who fell weren't seriously injured.
Examples of domestic mistakes made when I had sufficient experience to know better:
~Filling up our diesel-only van with regular gasoline. Still feeling the fall-out from that one.
~Breaking my toe while intentionally kicking a large toy. Double duh.
For a pretty good visual of what happened in my microwave oven, check out this YouTube video of a different, but remarkably similar, incident: